Monday, February 8, 2010

How to prepare for your appointment with the CPA, or a.k.a. how to be your account’s BFF













Alright, you’ve found a CPA you can hopefully bond with for a lifetime (or at least this tax season, you don’t want to be easy or anything), and you’ve got an appointment.

Actually let’s call it a first date, because that’s what it is.

You are checking them out to see if they’re a keeper while she is trying to see if you are going to be a pain in their booty. You know, usual date stuff.

And just like a first date, you want to put your best foot forward. Unlike a romantic date, instead of turning attention to your make-up or wardrobe, on this first date it matters what you bring to the table.

I mean, literally to the table. The quality of items you hand over to your CPA is going to put you squarely either in the pain in the booty or Gold Star category.

Bring your W-2s. Your receipts. Your interest statements.

Basically if you spent your hard-earned money on something and you want to deduct it, you need to, ya know, give that info to your CPA.

I can’t tell you how many people want to deduct their gas and mileage for work related travel.

“Great,” I say, “Let’s total up your expenses.”

The Pain in Booty Client answers, “Um, my bro was with me in the car, he’ll vouch for me.”

I say… (well after a slight pause) “Um… the I.R.S. doesn’t operate on the buddy system. We kind of need proof.”

The Gold Star Client answers, “Here are my receipts and thank you, CPA for helping me so kindly and efficiently.” (Okay, that last part never really happens, but hey, it’s my role-playing scenario so let me have my props! :-)

Now that was my side of the equation. What should you be looking for in this first date to know if this CPA is your CPA?

For me, the most important indicator is if the accountant asks you forward thinking questions. Because, honestly, the taxes are the easy part (I know, you can whack me later for being so cavalier). It is making the tax code WORK for you that is the more challenging part.

Are you starting an at-home business? How will the deductions you take this year affect your returns next year?

Are you investing enough in your retirement?

This is YOUR money. This is how you decide your life-style.

How much taxes, and even type of taxes, you pay directly affects every aspect of your life, nearly every day.

Why would you want an accountant that doesn’t care about that? That doesn’t ask you about your spending patterns or your plans for the next year?

These are the questions that will decide whether you can fund your hopes and dreams or not. We might want to spend a few minutes in this meeting talking about them, right?

Alright, now that you are prepared, head out to that first date with confidence (and lots and lots of receipts).

And if you find “The One,” be sure to thank them for being so kind and efficient!

Hehe Even an accountant can dream!

1 comment: